Saturday, February 25, 2012

The Art of Thrifting

Today is the last Saturday of the month... one of my favorite days of the month. All the Goodwill Stores in our area are 50% off on this day. I have this day marked in my calendar and my phone gives me a reminder a few days ahead of time and again the morning of, not that I really need a reminder.

I was headed to Kazoo by 8:00 this morning. The Goodwill on Milham opens at 9:00 and I was the 5th person in line along the sidewalk at 8:45. We are all standing there waiting for the door to open sipping our Starbucks and making small talk. We are all there for different reasons, but of course we are all there because it's 50% off day. Some had been there the evening before and scoped out what they wanted and knew exactly what they were going to grab. I go early because if you are not one of the first 10 people in the door you cannot get a cart and it's impossible to thrift shop on a 50% off day without a cart, at least it is for me. I don't get there early to get the best things as fast as I can before someone else gets them. I find plenty just taking my time and digging around.

As my title states, there is an art to thrift shopping. Just coming home from a marathon thrift shopping day I thought I would do a post on the art of thrifting and share some of my secrets of thrifting.

1. Learn where all the thrift stores are in your area. And don't be bashful about patronizing them. Although Goodwill stores are great places to thrift, I've found some off the beaten path thrift stores that are amazing with great prices.

2. When planning a day of thrifting be sure to dress the part and do your hair. That doesn't mean put on your Sunday best and spend an hour on your hair. For me it means putting on my most comfortable jeans or stretch pants and putting on a pull over shirt, wearing comfortable shoes with thin socks (so you can try on those adorable dress shoes), and putting my hair up in a pony tail. I don't want to be messing around with layers of clothes with lots of buttons when I'm trying on clothes.... which brings me to #3.

3. Don't buy clothes without trying them on. You may think they look right on the hanger and "heck it's only $2 so I'll just buy it".... don't do it. I've learned the hard way too many times that it rarely works to my benefit.

4. If you like it don't buy it. What does that mean? If you enjoy thrifting as much as I do you can quickly fall into the trap of just plain having too much "stuff". Make sure you don't just "like" the item... "love" it. I've found that this method works for me so I can have the best sweaters, shoes, coats, etc. Early in my thrifting days I would buy something I "liked" because it was really cheap. Now I only buy things that I "love" and I'm willing to spend $4 for that sweater I love. They are better quality and I wear them much more than the things I only "liked" and spent $2 for. Make sense?

5. Go to thrift stores often. Friends and family cannot believe the great finds I come home with. That isn't because I go only one day per month. I've had people say to me many times "I never to go to thrift stores because all I find is junk". Well, that's their first problem..... "they never go". If I only went once every few months I wouldn't be successful either. Of course I have days where I leave empty handed and then there are those days where I leave grinning from ear to ear.

6. Go thrifting alone. I find I do much better and enjoy the experience more when I am alone. I can spend as much time in a store as I want with out "Sally" standing at the door waiting for me to finish. I always feel rushed when someone is with me and to be a successful thrifter you cannot be rushed. If you think you can run into a thrift store walk around briefly and find good stuff, you are mistaken.

7. Learn when the sales are. Many thrift stores have monthly 50% off sales. As I said earlier the Goodwill stores in our area are 50% off the last Saturday of each month. That is my one day per month that I do an ALL day thrifting. I do visit stores all month long but only an hour or two here and there when I can fit it in.

8. And last... Ditch the purse. I have several little wallet type purses (that I found at thrift stores of course!) with long straps so I can put them around my neck and under my arm. They are just big enough for my cell phone, my ID, an my debit cards. This leaves my arms free to shop and also gives me peace of mind that I don't have a purse in the cart that I'm trying to keep an eye on.

Today was a great thrifting day............... Happy Thirfting!!!!


No comments: