Saturday, January 1, 2011

Ringing in the New Year

Happy New Year! Last time I looked at the clock last night it was 11:45. I can't remember the last time I rang in the New Year. I'm not the partying, pop the champagne while singing Auld Lang Syne type. Craig and I spent the evening at home. About the most exciting thing I did was get the camera out and snap a few photos of the fury kids.

During the day we did go to Grand Rapids and spent the day at the Grand Rapids Public Museum. We went specifically to go to the "Bodies Revealed" exhibit. It was pretty good. They have real human cadavers displayed to explain the different systems. Being a nurse I enjoyed it. Although, being an OR nurse I've seen most all the innards of a human being while they are still alive so the dead ones just don't compare. But it was still interesting.

And besides the "Bodies Revealed" exhibit the rest of the museum was just as good. They had a display of taxidermy birds and wildlife that I throughly enjoyed. It was a good day.
Well, today is the first day of 2011 and like the rest of the world I have made a few resolutions. I'm not a big one to make resolutions but this year I decided to join in and make a few resolutions at becoming healthier. I am generally a happy content person. I love my family and I love my job but I am increasingly becoming dissatisfied with my physical well being. Specifically my weight is making me uncomfortable and I don't have the energy I would like. I've made myself a goal to lose 20 pounds in 3 months. OK, so I need to lose more than 20 pounds but I set a goal that I feel like I can accomplish. When I make that goal then I'll go from there.

I started this a week ago. I haven't been perfect and I've fallen off the wagon a few times but the encouraging part is that I haven't gotten discouraged and thrown in the towel. I'm still feeling really good about it and constantly thinking of ways to meet my goals. I'm taking little baby steps and am making progress that way. Instead of going all whole hog and feeling persecuted I am trying pick up healthy habits in small ways and hoping that they add up to bigger things.

My little baby steps so far are trying to avoid flour and sugar. The sugar part is easy for me. I've never been attracted to sweets. It's pastas and pizzas that are my downfall. And in those areas I'm practicing portion control when I feel like I am going to cheat. I haven't gotten on a scale and have no intention of for a few weeks. I think that would be too discouraging to step on the scale every day.

And I am well aware that exercise is an important part of being healthy. That again is one of my downfalls. I'm going to start out walking. Maybe Zoe would like to join me. She could afford to lose a few pounds herself.

I'll be blogging about my progress.... stay tuned.
Jordan is painting the living room this week and it looks wonderful. Next is the floor. We have decided to lay a hard wood floor rather than carpet. Craig thinks it will be easy enough to lay ourselves, we'll see about that one. We are headed to Menard's this afternoon to pick out what we want. Stay tuned on that one.....

Happy New Year to all my Family and Friends!!!! You were a blessing to all of us in 2010!

1 comment:

Ben said...

Happy new year! I just took a picture of a pug with her tongue sticking up just like the one in your picture. How do they do that? And best wishes in achieving your goals foe the new year.