Saturday, January 22, 2011

In the right direction

Things are going in the right direction in my vow to get healthier this year. And I'm really excited about it because for once I can see progress. I'm not discouraged and each day I look forward to the challenge. I know it's only Jan 22nd but I've been doing this since right after Christmas and for me that is a huge accomplishment. Maybe you are laughing because it's only been a month but I can't ever remember sticking it out this long. Three or four days was my track record in the past.

I started out on my own doing no sugar no flour. I didn't like the way it made me feel and was quickly discouraged. My girlfriend from the hospital called me and asked if I wanted to join her in Weight Watchers. Honestly, my first thought was how could I get out of it? Sure I've thought of joining Weight Watchers many times but I wasn't sure if I really wanted to do that. A week later she called again and said she found meeting place close to my office and it would be right after work. Now I couldn't get out of it (Sorry Susan). WOW! It's been the best thing I've could have done (Thank You Susan!!!).

So what changes have I made? If you know Weight Watchers it's a points system where each food has a points value. I'm allowed 29 points per day with 49 flex points per week. Weight Watchers pretty much lets you eat what you want as long as you keep track of your points. Of course you are able to eat more if you make healthy choices. Fruits and veggies have no points and I really like that! Weight Watchers does not count calories. The points are based on carbs, fiber, fat, and protein.

I'm enjoying grocery shopping, reading labels, making menus that work for me. It's easy for me to give up sweets, and I've never been addicted to colas. The challenge for me is carbs. I'm not depriving myself of my favorites such as my wonderful homemade spaghetti. But now I eat it with whole wheat noodles and I divide it up into healthy smaller portions and I leave the cheese off. I'm buying ground turkey breast and using that in soups, chili, taco's, etc. I bought veggies burgers (and I actually like them!). I'm buying low fat yogurts, cheeses, cream cheese. I'm eating more whole grains.

One of the biggest changes for me is breakfast. My WHOLE life I've never eaten breakfast. Food just doesn't appeal to me in the morning. I've been forcing myself to eat breakfast. Oatmeal, grits, mini whole grain bagels, hard boiled eggs, fruit. I'm getting used to it. I still would rather run out the door and skip breakfast but I'm making it work.

My first week at Weight Watchers I lost 3 pounds, last week I lost 3.6 pounds and with my weight loss since Christmas I've lost 10 pounds! I'm pretty excited. I'm excited about feeling better, having more energy and being able to be more comfortable doing things I want to do this summer, such as kayaking and hiking.

So you might be wondering where the exercise and fitness is falling into all this. It hasn't...yet. That's really going to be the challenge for me. Simply put, I despise exercise. That's a strong word, huh? But I've got to start to make all this work. The excuse now is the weather but I know I have to stop making excuses. I'm going to start walking and I know the perfect place. As soon as the weather breaks and it isn't dark when I leave work I'm going to stop at Sarett and walk the nature trails. If I'm in a place I love (surrounded by nature) then exercising should be easier, right?

I've discovered some great online tools that you might enjoy checking out. Weight Watches online is a wonderful website with so much useful information and recipes but unfortunately you have to be a member of Weight Watchers to access it. Another site I find really useful is www.hungry-girl.com From what I understand Hungry Girl has a show on the Cooking Channel (I don't get that channel). But her website is awesome. You can sign up for daily emails for healthy tips, cooking and shopping. Check it out!

Well, that's what's new with me. Stay tuned for updates........

No comments: