Tuesday, July 30, 2013

It was one of "those" moments

Last Saturday we were in northern Michigan for a wedding.  We decided to make a little road trip out of it and took the long road home Sunday.  Craig wanted to take me to the Leelanau Peninsula.  Ok, what's the Leelanau Peninsula?  Evidently there a state park campground there and Craig wanted to check it out for a possible future camping destination.  Little did I know what a gem we were to find.   
It was record breaking low temps for July, it was cloudy and threatening rain.  The clouds were amazing as we drove there, I couldn't stop staring at the clouds.  

We pulled into the state park and drove back to the campground.  We loved the campground.  Very private, secluded sites in the woods, rustic.... exactly how we like to camp.  We knew the campsites were on Lake Michigan but we couldn't see the water from the campsites.  We could hear the waves but you had to walk down a short trail to see Lake Michigan.  

Craig was checking out some sites and I decided to walk down the trail to the "beach".  Now, if you know me, you know I am not a "beach" person.  Put me in the woods any day and I am a happy woman.  Down to the beach I went.  Here's the part I can't even explain but I will try....

I walked down that trail with the grass taller than my head, not being able to see the lake, not knowing what to expect.  I had no expectations what so ever.  I stepped out of that trail into the most amazing scene.  I don't know if it was because I was not expecting to see what I found, but suddenly out of nowhere I was crying and laughing hysterically.  I don't think I could have been any more moved had someone just dropped me in front of the Grand Canyon.  

I was yelling for Craig to come quick!  I wanted to share this experience with him.  The wind was loud so he couldn't hear me.  I stood there staring at this unbelievable scene with tears streaming down my cheeks.  The clouds were the most beautiful I had ever seen in my whole life.  Peeks of sun broke through for brief moments.  The wind and the waves were like music.  And the rocks!  Oh the rocks!  And there was no human to be seen in any direction.  It was like I was the first ever human to step out into this place.  It really did looked untouched by man.      
Very few times in my life have I ever walked upon something that moved me to tears but every time it happens I am so grateful. 
I was in photography heaven, got some amazing shots.  We only had a few hours to spend here and now I am looking forward to camping here.  We have plans to camp here in September...... can't wait!
This wonderful man in my life makes all these moments possible.  He takes me to these places because he knows I will love it....... How lucky I am!

No comments: