Sunday, May 26, 2013

My Little Road Trip

All the family was busy yesterday and I had no obligations to speak of so I did something I've been wanting to do for awhile.  I took a little road trip to a bird sanctuary.  The last time I was there was few years ago.  It was late summer so any babies that I did see where nearly full grown.  This year there were new babies everywhere.  Oh what fun place to take my camera.  
And what makes this place unique is that even though the birds are wild they are somewhat tame because the sanctuary allows you to purchase buckets of corn and feed them.  It amazes me how close these beautiful creatures allow you to get to them.  Even the ones with babies.  

I'm used to kayaking on secluded lakes where swans and geese try to avoid you.  And if they have babies.... you better watch out.  I've been frightened by a swans and geese with babies on more than one occasion.   OK, maybe I was pushing my luck trying to get "that" photo.  

So this place is a real treat.  The Trumpeter Swans were literally eating out of my hand.  
What is it about Momma's with babies?  These little ones melted my heart.  
Who knows what these two love birds really think of each other?  Are they lovingly gazing into each other eyes, or is one telling the other to beat it?  I like to think they are a pair of those swans that mate for life.  
As I was leaving the sanctuary I stopped at a little pond to photograph a few frogs.  

I'd like to go back again in a few weeks before all the hatchlings get too big.  

Perfect day.........

No comments: