Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Happy First Day of Spring

Today is the first day of spring.  This was a photo that was taken on the first day of spring last year.  We aren't even close to this yet.  I know we were far ahead of where we should have been last year but this year we are 25 degrees BELOW average and we are under a winter snow advisory with 6 inches of blowing snow predicted overnight.  YUCK!!!!! Enough already..... 

With all this talk of spring today I was feeling pretty depressed, especially each time I looked out my office window.  I decided enough of this moping around and went for a drive on my lunch hour.  I headed down to Riverview Park (a beautiful park about a mile from my office).  I don't do it very often but it's one of my favorite places to go on my lunch.  Always before when I've gone the trees are heavy with leaves, the grass is green, wildflowers are blooming......  I knew I wouldn't find those things today but I had one goal in mind.  I WANTED TO SEE A ROBIN!!!!  It was as simple as that.  

I pulled in the park and drove along the river.  There he was!  A robin!!  And then another and another.  Oh, what a glorious sight.  I parked my car and counted about 15.  They were hopping and scratching around, throwing leaves around, digging in the dirt.  The robins were everywhere.  Soon I saw a blue jay, a red winged black bird, Canadian geese, and squirrels.  

I only had 15 minutes to spend at the park but I drank in every minute of it.  Needless to say I was feeling much better the rest of the day.     

No comments: