Saturday, September 11, 2010

Yearning to see and do......


It's 8:00 Saturday morning and I am the only one home. Seadra is laying at my feet snoring away but other than that the house is quiet. I'm relishing in the moment.

I was skimming through my photos trying to find something that would inspire me to become creative but I wasn't having much luck. Then I came across my Florida photos from last November when we visited a wildlife refuge near Lakeland. It was by far the BEST birding place I'd ever been in my life. The place was swarming with wild birds. Everyplace you looked there were hundreds of birds. And the place was swarming with photographers too. If I could pick any vacation right now it wouldn't be Disney World or the Grand Canyon.... it would be this little piece of heaven that I got to spend a few hours at last year. I think what made it so amazing for me was the fact that the birds were so plentiful and so willing to let me photograph them. We were only a few feet from them along the shores and it was like they knew they were safe and went along their merry way fishing and posing so beautiful for me. And these were WILD birds.

I often visit nature centers and wildlife sanctuaries here in Michigan but they are nothing like this wildlife refuge in Florida. Somedays I'm lucky if I spot a little birdie in the bush trying to flee from me and if I'm really lucky I might get a photo of him. And if I'm really really lucky I may even be able to identify him. I call myself a wanna be birder because I'm usually yearning for so much more than I actually come upon.

But for now I can only look forward to the day that I will return (and I will return there someday!) and enjoy the photos that I did take that day. Now changing the subject.....

I have a new yearning...... I want a Kayak. I have so enjoyed the few little trips that Craig and I have taken recently. Each time we've gone we rent a 2 person kayak and go for a few hours down a river. It's so peaceful and beautiful. Being we've always been in a 2 person kayak I usually just sit and enjoy the ride while Craig does all the work of paddling and steering. But I want a single person kayak. Craig says it's much easier to maneuver a single kayak and I think it's something I could learn and do on my own. I've been imagining myself getting up on a morning much like today, grabbing my kayak and heading off to somewhere that's calling me. I wouldn't be afraid to go alone. I would love it. A few days ago Craig and I were in "Gander Mountain" wondering around and I was drooling over the kayaks. I found the most beautiful yellow one. It had a wonderful fancy comfortable seat and storage compartments that would be perfect for my camera. Someday...... (maybe sooner than later).

Tomorrow is our all church picnic and I'm headed to Sam's Club to purchase all the food and supplies. The weather forecast for tomorrow is calling for sunny and 75. It's going to be a beautiful day!!!!! Happy weekend All..........

1 comment:

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

To hear you describe the birding in Florida makes me want to go there.I have always said that a trip to a place like that would be a dream come true.Hope the picnic tomorrow turns out great.
Blessings,Ruth