Sunday, October 30, 2011

What they've taught me

Seadra started it all. She is the one who taught me to love dogs. She did what no other dog had ever been able to do. I have been around dogs my whole life but no dog had ever opened my heart and taught me to love the way she has. And she is ALL mine, and what I mean by that is she only wants to belong to me and she does. That's the way she prefers it and that's the way I love it. She is most comfortable when she is in my presence. Seadra is 12 now and I don't know how many more years I will be blessed with this beautiful creature that has changed me forever but I do know that Seadra has given me one of the biggest joys in my life.... what it feels like to be loved unconditionally and also given me the joy to open my heart to other dogs.
Zoe came along from the simple fact that if I could love a dog as much as I do Seadra then two dogs would be twice the joy, right? And that's exactly what happened. Zoe teaches me that nothing in life is worth getting upset about. I have seen Zoe become so deathly ill that the vet thought she was in her final days and through it all she wagged her tail and kissed my face. Nothing and I mean NOTHING upsets her apple cart. Zoe is the most calm, relaxed, happy dog I have ever known. She loves anyone and everyone and asks for nothing in return. Dogs like Zoe are rare and we are so blessed to have her as a part of our family. Zoe teaches me to enjoy the small things in life.
Fiona is very childlike to me. At two years old I really feel like she is still very much a baby. And the mother/nurturer in me loves to have her around. Fiona won our hearts as we watched her endure her first year of life full of pain. I know that God lead us to Fiona to save her. Fiona can be the bully and the lover and everything in between. She's feisty yet very much dependent on us. Those eyes of hers will literally beg us for whatever she wants or needs, wether it's begging us to play toss the teddy bear, or begging to be curled up next to you on the couch. She is passionately loved by all of us. Fiona has taught us that when you give compassion and care to someone, or in this case a dog, you get so much more in return.

1 comment:

Christy said...

Oh these faces are adorable! I've been so bad about blogging. I miss it but have been busy working on my photo business, slow but steady. Hoping that once the weather changes I can get caught up on my blogging. So happy to see things are well with you and yours.