Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Visiting the UP

We'd been planning this trip for a year. We loaded up the trailer and headed to the UP for nearly 2 weeks. We packed so much into that 2 weeks that we were physically exhausted by the time we got home. It was so worth it.

We set up camp in central UP and went on day trips all over. Each day we would hop in the truck and head to a new destination. Most days we'd leave the campground early morning and not get back until 11:00 PM. The owner of the campground comment on how we were ALWAYS gone.

We visited Seney National Wildlife Refuge. That's were all the photos from this post were taken. I had imagined that I would spend a lot of time there hiking, photographing wildlife, and just enjoying the surroundings. It was a really neat place but after spending the whole day there I didn't feel the need to go back. The black flies were ruthless there. I was afraid that the flies would be just as bad other places we visited but they never bothered us anywhere else.
The UP is such a beautiful place! It's like a whole different world. It's a whole lot of nothing but really something at the same time. Towns are few and far between and if you blink driving through you will certainly miss most of them. We made a point to stop at every junk/antique store that we came across. We talked to the people who lived there and ran the stores. Craig would ask what the buildings were originally built for. Learning the history was part of the fun of it. We asked where the best places to eat where. We were on the hunt for the best burgers and rhubarb pie.
We took our kayaks and did a lot of kayaking..... BOY did we ever kayak! Kayaking the UP will have it's own post, soon.... I promise. Check back in a couple of days for that post. I've said it many times since we got home, "It was the best kayaking of my life!".
Craig and I celebrated our 25th anniversary in April so we were calling this our anniversary vacation. Craig and I were by ourselves (no kids) for the majority of the time. The kids did come up and join us for the last 4 days. We really enjoyed their company when they came up but I was so grateful for the time alone with Craig. I can't remember the last time we had a vacation with just the two of us.
I have much more to share and blog about. It's just too much to put into one post. What a great time!

No comments: