Sunday, August 1, 2010

Summer is flying by......

We've had a busy busy busy last month. I sometimes find myself getting overwhelmed from all the busyness but then I take a step back and realize it's the now that counts. It's the friends, family and memories that will last a lifetime. Ten years from now I will not remember that I left laundry needing to be done, my garden beds needed weeding (sorry Mom), etc, etc.
This is what counts... Caleb's best bud Josh coming home from college for the weekend and they get to spend the day at the lake together. And by the way... this was my favorite photo from the week.
We had the bi-annual Ormsby twins reunion last weekend. My maternal grandmother was an identical twin and this reunion is all of their descendants. My semi-grown children are at the age of "Oh Mom! Do we have to go to that reunion?" but they were good little children and didn't baulk too much. And at least I got them to pose for this great family shot while we were there. Only wish Ian could have been in the photo.
Here is a photo of me with my lovely parents. It's funny listening to everyone talk at the reunion..... "Wow, you look just like so and so.... My how those kids have grown.... Doesn't so and so look more and more like so and so as the years go by". I've never thought that I looked like my mother. I always thought that I resembled my fathers side of the family but looking at this photo I can see some resemblance to my mother.
Here's a photo of my mother with all of her siblings (from left to right... my mother Sherry, Uncle Dallas, Aunt Carole, & Aunt Lyn).
I love this photo. In the stripped shirt is my cousin Paul. He was born on my 9th birthday. I was crazy about that little boy (still am) and he tagged along with me for many years when we were young. That's another one of my cousins David on the other side of me. He's Paul's older brother and I adored him growing up. This is what reunions are for.
Caleb's girlfriend Bailey made this beautiful cake for the reunion. Isn't she wonderful? We just love Bailey!
And now for my Fiona followers, an update on Fiona. Boy did we have a scary week with her! Monday she went in for her second (and last) hip surgery. She did so well with her first surgery that I was really pretty confident with her going into this one. We asked the vet if he would consider spaying her during this surgery so she wouldn't have to go through yet another surgery. The vet told us he would see how well the surgery was progressing and if things were going smoothly then he would decide at that time. Ok, fine. Early afternoon Craig got a message on his voice mail at work from the vet saying Fiona was fine and he would call again in a few hours. Well, evidently things didn't stay fine. The next phone call from the vet was not good at all. From what we understand the hip part of the surgery went perfect so the vet made the decision to go ahead and spay her. The vet now tells us that in retrospect that was not a good idea and he will never do that to a dog again that is already going through a major surgery. As soon as the surgery was finished and Fiona was recovering she got dangerously hyperthermic, went into shock and her heart stopped. For all practical purposed Fiona was dead. The staff went to work on her doing chest compressions and giving her epi to get her heart started back up, which thankfully worked. They put her back on a respirator and kept her on it for the rest of the day. The vet took her home with him that night so he could keep an eye on her. The next day she progressed along so the vet let us take her home that night. But she has bruised lungs from the chest compressions and was coughing terrible. She couldn't walk around without going into a coughing fit. The vet said we now had to watch her closely for pneumonia complications. My poor baby!

Every day she had gotten better and better. She is amazing! In fact, we have to keep her calm for fear that she is doing too much. She is still coughing but each day that gets a little better. My main concern for her now is the incision on her belly from the spay. The vet used staples to close it and the skin edges are not approximated. It looks like the skin edges have rolled in so it is preventing her from healing. It's been almost a week and it is still oozing and looks like a fresh cut. I think we will take her back to the vet tomorrow.

Craig and I were talking the other day..... Fiona has no idea what a lucky puppy she was to have ended up in our home. What we have gone through to try and get her healthy, emotionally and financially! Good thing we love her so much!

No comments: