Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Thrift Store Finds

People who know me know what a thrift store junkie I am. It's a great day when I can jump in the car and head for a day of thrift store shopping. I am never disappointed and it's always so much fun to see what I will come home with for hardly any money at all. I enjoy it most when I am by myself.
Recently I've been looking at Christmas items. I got this Oneida Christmas coffee cup for $1. It's huge which is how I love my coffee cups. It will hold a good 5 cups of coffee. And I fell in love with this framed embossed snowman. Got him for a whole 50 cents!
And check out this watch I found. The photo doesn't do it justice. I picked it up for $1. It didn't work but I took my chances that all it needed was a battery. I bought a $2 battery for it and it works and keeps time perfect. I LOVE it.
And here's one of my latest purchases that I'm most proud of. We got a new desktop computer and the monitor wouldn't fit into our old computer desk. I always disliked our old computer desk. It was huge and had a tall back on it that covered the wall. With our new computer I was determined to find a flat top computer desk. Didn't take me long. I found this desk at Goodwill for $38. It was exactly what I was looking for!!! Whoo Hoo $38!! It had a little white paint on the top which I was able to remove.
I also wanted a file cabinet that would serve as a file, and have drawers for storage as well. I wanted to be able to use it as a spot for the printer too. I went to the office supply stores and I found nothing under $200 and they weren't even what I wanted. So again, I started to scour the thrift store. I was not disappointed. I found exactly what I wanted. It was heavy industrial and the top two drawers were storage drawers, the bottom was a file. The only problem was that it had no top on it. You could look right down inside the top drawer. I figured my Dad could make me a top of wood and router the top edges and then I could finish and varnish it. Which is exactly what we did. It's PERFECT. You can see from the photo that I haven't finished the top yet. And the best part...... it was $5!!! I was so proud of myself... a whole new office for 43 bucks.

Thrift store shopping has ruined me for shopping at regular stores. I simply cannot go into a store and look at clothes, or much of anything and not think to myself what a waste of money it is to buy new when I can get things I love at thrift stores for a fraction of the money. And I find great quality name brand things all the time!

The other day I was in the check out line at Target and this young college age girl was checking out in front of me. She had 5 sweaters and her bill was $70. I so bad wanted to tell her that she was wasting her money and didn't she know she could go to Goodwill and find much better nicer quality sweaters for $3 each? Of course I had to laugh at myself for feeling that way and I never would ever really tell someone such a thing but I did think it.

Oh well, that's my thing and I have a lot of fun with it. It's the trill of the hunt that I love.....

1 comment:

Diane Fay (littlealma) said...

Wow - don't you just love it??? You found great things!!! (I would probably not been able to restrain myself, and would have had to "help" the girl realize the value of a dollar! (smile!)

Hugs - and Happy Thanksgiving - Diane